Monday, April 8, 2013

Small Blessings

Yesterday I was blessed to be able to go back to Mae Sai Thailand, where two years ago the stunning 6.9 Earthquake hit with us being only 15 miles from the epicenter. Now some of you might remember that time when I was here in Thailand, and my blogs explaining what had happened and such. And actually through God's beautiful plan how the earthquake brought me to Eden House, which is where I am today.

But I want to bring back the memories of that night when everything turned upside down, and a little boy walked into our lives. His name is Abbabba and he is from Burma, who comes sometimes to the Thai side to beg and receive food from the Drop in Center. There was something special about this boy, something that I can't really explain even to this day. He is deaf, so communication was very limited and consisted of mostly hugs, nods, and smiles. On the night of the Earthquake, he happened to be near the center, and came running for protection and safety. Not understanding or knowing what happened, he clinged to our arms as we tried to decide what to do. After waiting many hours on the street our contacts thought it best that we be evacuated out of the city, which meant that precious Abbabba would not be able to come with us. There were many road blocks where we were going and with him being Burmese, it would not be safe for him to try to sneak in. So as we loaded the truck, he looked at us confused and puzzled. We tried to explain that we had to leave, but words were meaningless. The truck started to drive away, and my heart began to drip with pain, as he grew smaller and smaller in the distance. My thoughts were, "Would he be ok?" "What if he thinks we abandoned him?" In a couple passing days, we decided as a team to go back to Mae Sai to try to say good bye to the kids before we left for our next destination. Everything in me wanted to see Abbabba to make sure he was ok, and to hug him one last time. He walked into the center and sheer relievement and thankfulness overcame me, that he was safe. Even though it's been two years when I think of Mae Sai, I think of many things but mostly, the Earthquake and Abbabba.

Which brings me to today. When arriving in Mae Sai yesterday, I was filled with almost nervousness as to maybe being able to see him again. But my head doubted, "What if he doesn't remember me?" "What if something bad has happened to him over these past two years?" And so part of me began to doubt a little that I would even get to see him. As I walked down the street, that leads to the Drop in Center, I was so excited, I thought my skin was gonna jump off me and run there. And as I turned the corner, the gates were closed, and a sign was up saying that they will be closed till April 19th. My heart sank, and I almost said out loud..."Told ya so...." So I decided to just walk around and look at all the shops and items for sale. Time passed, and once again, wanted to check the Center to see if anybody was there. Nobody. So I started walking up to the gate and bridge that separates Burma from Thailand. Just taking in everything, watching people try to jump the fence, older ladies begging for money. Little kids begging for money.....and all of a sudden, I looked over and I saw a face I can never forget. As I continued to stare at him, I knew without a shadow of a doubt that.....that was Abbabba!! He crossed over the road and our eyes finally met. He just starred right back, until finally a little smile. I motioned for him to come over, and coming over rather quickly he ran to the fence. I put my hands up on the chained links, and he put his small little hands up trying to grab mine. Right then and there, my eyes filled up with tears, and I began to point to the Center. I said "Abbabba", and he just shook his head. He then motioned like everything shaking, meaning the earthquake, and I knew he remembered. There in front of me was that precious boy that captured my teams heart. There was our Abbabba, alive and well.

God's timing is impeccable and perfect in everyway. I cannot choose to think any differntly. Time and again God has shown me this, and yesterday was another simple reminder of that. Beautiful is the God who orchestrates this thing called life. Beautiful are His ways. Seeing Abbabba has challenged me to once again fully trust and hope that God knows and sees all. When I saw Abbabba, I think of hope and God's power used through this little boy. Pray that God would protect him. Pray that God moves in and through him. Pray that this little deaf boy will change the nation of Burma. We serve a powerful God that uses unlikely things to bring about His glory. I cannot choose to see the world any differently. Once the heart has seen, there is no other life outside of truth. Blessed are we!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Gabby. Such an amazing story ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Gabby this is so wonderful to read - gave me goosebumps! God is good!!

    ReplyDelete