Thursday, April 21, 2011

Purpose through a nap

Today....in sweaty Cambodia, my day started out like any other day. Until after lunch...we were playing with the girls, when I noticed that one didn't have that smile on her face like she normally does. I went over to her bed that she was laying in, and asked her what was wrong. My thoughts were maybe she had a bad day at school, or maybe one of the others girls were picking on her. But this was her response, as she looked at me with those beautiful brown oval eyes...."I am sick." I then asked what was sick, and she pointed to her stomach and throat. Now those who know me....would understand that normally I would probably say..."Oh you're fine....you just got a tummy ache." But the next words that came out of her mouth....were some that melted my heart. She said, "Will you sleep next to me." My heart had been so hard at learning and being broken for these children. Playing with them daily is different from having a desire and passion for them like Christ has for them. And at that moment my joy that I've been lacking, the compassion that had failed to stick....flooded in and came in the form of sleep. So despite everything else, the sweatiness, sickness, and probably lice....I climbed in that bed and held her till she feel asleep. That sleep was filled with something that I've been searching for...that sleep spoke to me. I woke up and knew that once again I was filled with purpose...once again this is where I am supposed to be. God speaks through everything...in a smile, in a laugh...and even in holding a child that feels sick. My heart was changed and melted by one little girl, a nap, and doing something that I normally wouldn't do. Her fingerprint will forever be on my heart....which made me reevaluate my heart being in this place. There are people we encounter daily....and what is the fingerprint you are leaving behind? Who does it reflect? What does it say? I know that if something as simple as comforting a child can leave that kind of impression on me...than what are saying to the world? I know that what I want to leave behind......is to reflect the colors of the King! I want every encounter with people to be filled with the fragrance of Christ love. Let God speak.....stop drowning out His voice with things that have no eternal value. And look for it everywhere.....even in a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment